October 6, 2012

Summer in Beijing with the 10,000 Women Scholars


Sang Hee Park,
2012 GHLI Intern

As an intern for GHLI’s China program, I worked at Tsinghua University in Beijing this summer for the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Women: Yale-Tsinghua Certificate Program in International Healthcare Management. The program aims to provide training to 500 female health care administrators in China by March 2013.

While I performed various tasks that improved my learning in the health care field, I learned the most from simply interacting with numerous people and getting to know their on-going research, challenges and opinions regarding the Chinese health care system. Despite the language barrier, I formed great relationships with faculty and staff at Tsinghua University thanks in part to the large amount of time spent traveling and working together to conduct student selection interviews. I also interacted with the more than 50 students in the most recent class who completed lectures, project work and graduated this summer. Each of them is a distinguished health care administrator, recruited to the program because they serve rural and underserved urban communities in China. Additionally, I was invited to dinners with health care policy makers, such as senior staff from the national drug pricing agency, directors of maternal and child health departments in both Guizhou province and Guiyang city, and faculty from the Tsinghua School of Economics and Management. These conversations helped me gain greater insight into health care as well as prepare me for further research of the Chinese health care system.

Overall, the internship provided me with the scientific tools and leadership skills necessary to be a successful female health care administrator serving low-resource communities. I also learned how health care financing and delivery policies impact a population’s access to cost-effective, quality health care. Through this experience, I was able to immerse myself in a different country and learn a different culture and language, increasing my cultural sensitivity and respect for diversity, which are the fundamental necessities for work in a global setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment